Friday, August 28, 2009

A wandering Friday

I have lived most of my life in Missouri and it has been pretty good. I did move to Texas as soon as I got out of high school. I thought that would be like heaven as I always heard about all the great hunting in Texas. Whoa! Them Texans wanted you to PAY to hunt. That was a whole new concept to a boy from Missouri. The fishing needless to say, was great, but you had to cough up major dough to shoot a tiny little deer. In the last few years the pay to hunt program has appeared in Missouri. Now pretty much any where you go in this state you can shoot a nice whitetail deer. The middle and upper portion of the state deliver some real monsters. The rates around here aren't to bad but if you're lucky enough to have a friend or family member with huntable land then you are truly blessed. Of course there is an abundance of public land to hunt and there are a lot of deer taken from public land but, after having several hundred acres to myself it almost scares me to drive through a public preserve during deer season. Orange dots as far as you can see. I am truly appreciative of all the fine folks that have allowed me to hunt their property all these years. When you get down to it though, a place of your own is the only way to go.
________________________________________

We are still experiencing globull warming here in MO. The high today was 75 and the sky was cloudy all day. All my life August has been HOT and clear. I wonder what the winter is going to be like? I have read that there has been little to no sunspot activity this year and that is supposed to cool things down. We're putting away a little more kerosene for the auxiliary heater and closing off the unused upstairs for the winter to try and use less heat.
________________________________________

Well I slipped a little this week and didn't do anything to boost our preparedness this week. No canning, no more ammo, no learning. What a wasted week. How about you?

No comments: