Saturday, October 5, 2013

Images From The Past

I did a little digging around and found a couple of pictures of my great, great, great Uncle John McCorkle. He, his brother Jebez and his brother in law T.B. Harris all rode with Captain William Quantrill and the Missouri Partisan Rangers during the War of Northern Aggression. Supposedly Uncle John would not cut his hair or beard until the war was over but I have not found a picture like that. Imagine this, a long haired, long bearded man dressed filthy filthy clothes, wearing a slouch hat with 2-6 pistols stuck in his belt and pockets and a steel eyed countenance knocking on your door in the dark of the night asking for dinner or food for his horse. That's how the Rangers got by, well that and some "foraging".  Any thing to get by. And mostly the good folks in Missouri supported them. Supported them with food, shelter, information and moral support.

Here's John McCorkle

 
 
 
 
 John McCorkle ( L) and B-I-L T.B. Harris (R)

 
 
Note those knee high cavalry boots and looking closely you can see pistol butts too.
I get a kick out of looking at pictures from my past, imagining what those folks had to live through, what they had to do to live. I find it fascinating stuff.

No comments: