In an effort to educate some ignorant mother fuckers... here is a Confederate Flag.
This is the Second National flag, final version. 13 stars on blue field with red and white broad stripes. Most folks wouldnt know it if jumped up bit them on the ass.
Here is a Confederate Naval jack. NAVY FLAG!
So if the jackasses dont like the Naval Jack then I say...MOVE. Go somewhere else that doesn't have these flags or Southern memorials. Quit looking at them, quit talking about them. SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT! Do it peacefully or if you want it loud let is know. I think we could do it right this time.
Here are a few fact in this same vein. You can prove them on your own as Im not footnoting these fact.
1. The KKK used to march under the US flag. It was a recent change to march under the Naval Jack.
2. 300,000 to 1 million blacks supported the Souths cause. Either as non combatants i.e laborers, stablemen, cooks or actual soldiers or footman to soldiers. They came willingly. Millions simply stayed on the farms and plantations and continued to produce crops and herds instead of running to the north. AND may hundreds of times protected the white women and children who were still on the plantation when the northern raiders appeared, bent on retribution. This is hard to prove as the north destroyed nearly ALL records in the South during the war and during the occupation of the South. However some researchers have found much evidence to support these numbers.
3. Every American slave ship was owned by northern businessmen and flagged either under the US flag or that of the United Kingdom. So it was the north that founded and promoted slavery under the US flag.
4. Every major college In the East was either founded by or built on land donated by slave importers.
5. The northern states were far more racist in their attitude towards people of color. They had laws on the books calling for the beating, maiming and killing of blacks. The South however had laws on the books protecting slaves and calling for the punishment of owners who abused their, lets be honest here, their servants.
6. The South was a fully integrated society with many free blacks that had farms, plantations and business'. People of all other colors and races were welcome in the South.
In comparison, the north hated Jews, Irish, Italians, Indians, Catholics and anyone who wasnt WASP...White Anglo Saxton Protestant. (Do some research on Irish slavery in the US for a real eye opener. You dont hear the Irish calling reparations or calling for the death of all business owners. )
For many books with eye opening facts with documentation go to http://www.searavenpress.com/
One book which has many facts and images is called "Everything you were taught about American slavery is wrong, just ask a southerner" It a very long read, tracing slavery back from ancient times to the current day. Quite a tome but worth the read.
As far as the term of "servant" goes...most Southern Plantation servants received a small remuneration for their work. They were also given land on which to raise gardens and livestock for themselves to eat or sell as they deemed fit. They were given most Saturdays and Sundays off to do as they pleased such as go hunting, fishing, or even put on their finery and go to town.
At the Carnton Plantation house in Tennessee, at the back of the house you can see a stepping stone, with a grove worn it from countless foot falls upon it. Open that back door it leads to and what do you see? A small room that was the paymasters office. Yes the slaves appeared each week to receive a small envelope with their stipend inside.
Here is a picture of the servants quarters at Carnton. Hell, Id live there!
Was this typical of the South? Probably not. Is this proof of the decent treatment of the servants in the South? Most likely. A Southern Slave was guaranteed cradle to grave care...food, clothing, medical care, jobs, wages, entertainment. Was there punishment for wrongs? Yes. For everyone. In that time whipping was the most common legal punishment for everyone by law. Those heavy handed overseers we keep hearing about? 99 percent were black men employed by the plantations.
Do your own research and see what life was really like in the old South for Blacks as well as Whites.