Thursday, December 18, 2014

Plastic Skins

Well, I have started a new skill that one day I hope to turn into a new venture. Kydex forming, making knife sheaths and gun holster and tool carriers from thermoplastics. I have been piecing together the supplies and after making my sons Christmas present I had to coble together a Kydex press. I also had to order the foam for this press and there is none available in Kansas City, none that I have found so far anyway. I made the sheath for a knife I made from an Old Hickory brand butcher knife, I made it in the Kephart style and them modified that to my liking. Then I just knocked out the sheath like I had been doing it all my life. Then just for me and general practice I made a sheath for a Buck 120, which was a real bear and then a holster for a Gerber multi-tool and that was a pain in the ass too. I do not have these two item done yet as I need a couple of more things to finish. I need longer eyelets and a heat gun. And once again I am BROKE. I start back at Home Depot this coming Friday and I got a big ol' raise too for coming back. BUT, all they had was part time so.....

Any way the sheath for the Buck will be in the old style, meant to be carried thrust behind your belt with a finial holding it from sliding through. The finial is on a separate strap of Kydex that will wrap around the sheath body, hence the need for longer eyelets to go through 4 layers.

The holster for the Gerber only needs the belt clip formed and I need a heat gun for that. So until funds are flowing again this, sigh, is on hold, dammit.

The knife...


The sheath is made from .60 digital tiger stripe camo Kydex.




Here is the starting of the sheath for the Buck 120...I think it's gonna  be sexy with the black Kydex and a one inch strip of camo Kydex for the brass finial. More to come.





And finally the Gerber project...



This skill will come in handy for many things, especially when I get my blacksmithing shop going and then my bladesmithing shop in order.

No comments: