Saturday, July 6, 2013

BOOM!

I am sorry for the lack of posting. My hours at work are ever changing, I have been looking for a place to live, working on the Harley and doing all those other things that a home and vehicles require. and of course mulling over my situation. Over and over and over.
On Independence Day however, after I got off work, I went to my step mothers place for a little get together. Lot's of good food, good people and of course fireworks. I do love fireworks. For a couple of years I was even part of a pro team that did the big shows. I was going to get my license to be a shooter then the pesky ATF/ USG changed the rules regarding fireworks. It went from being a one page form to a complete background investigation, fingerprinting AND getting a shooters certification. Certification from where? In Missouri it's at the University of Missouri where they have a school geared towards miners. Now they do cover fireworks and the end of the class involves setting up an a rather large fireworks show and shooting it. You also get to learn about shooting dynamite and other explosives. Now that sounds pretty cool to me but do we want every yabo that that wants to be a fireworks guy also getting trained in high explosives? By the way, the cost is rather prohibitive for an industry that really doesn't pay well. In fact most folks on a fireworks crew are working for.......FREE! That's right, most of the hard work and sweating is done by people that do it for the love of fireworks. Even when I was setting up shows, doing the labor, wiring the show and shooting the show the most I ever got was 50 bucks. Fifty dollars for a long, hot, sweaty, labor intensive day that usually ran 6-10 hours. Most folks do it for a T-shirt. So the next time you see a fireworks show thank all those unpaid, hardworking volunteers that make it possible.

No comments: