Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Prodigal Gun Returns

Back in 2003 our home was broken into and when the tally was completed I had several guns and many switchblade knives missing. I know no safe, yadad yada yada..... Any way, the local PD couldn't lift any of the clearly visible fingerprints from many of the articles the thieves chose to carry around and bang on other things. The best they could do for us was to tell us file an insurance claim. Really? My insurance agent wife and I weren't aware of that. Some other things we learned were that there are several known thieves in this area, my step brother, kind soul that he is, claimed to know one of the asshats in question but wouldn't give him up, and once stolen it's highly unlikely that you will ever see any of your stuff again. This type of crime occurred to two other home owners that I am aware of in a very short time. The other two lived in the next county in a rural area. One of the guys has a son that my son ran around with occasionally. This particular Dad found information that that said one of his neighbor kids had done his break in. Dad trots his angry self down the road and calls the kid out and soundly thrashes him. Parent of miscreant kid appears and is understandably mad as hell. Until he hears the story of the theft. The kid gave up the information that he and a couple other young men were in good ole KC at a pool hall where a couple of Latino gang banger were. The gang bangers took this one kid outside and roughed him up, took his drivers license and told him to steal guns from his neighbors and give them to the gang or they would come to his house and kill everyone there. Is that what happened in my case? Who the fuck knows. The point here is that Thursday the police called my house and left a message for us to contact them. We did. The parties we were to speak with were not available. Friday we did make contact with the right officer and lo and behold I was told to come to the station to reclaim some of my stolen property. What I found in the box was the Ruger Single Six that was stolen from me. The best part is that is looked like it had never left my house. Other than needing a good cleaning it was damaged in no way. It's still an early model flat top Single Six without the late model conversion in a solid 95-98 percent condition. Evidently the Kansas City police had it in their possession since.....2003! It was used in a robbery, collected as evidence and has been in the evidence locker since 3 months after the gun was stolen! What I have to do know is buy it back from the insurance company. It seems the cops called the insurance company before they called me. The day I picked the gun up there was message from the insurance company saying some of my property had been reclaimed and they would like to set up a time for someone to come and collect it from me OR make arrangements to receive payment for the item. Man they're fast. They want 397 dollars for it which is what they compensated us with. Fine. I looked it up and it's now worth about 500 dollars.

No comments: