Thursday, October 4, 2012

Some More Sharp Bargains

While at the pawnshop putting out some items that had defaulted items i found we had several knives to price and display. Two of them struck my fancy. The first one that caught my eye was a Buck modle 120. It's a large fixed blade knife with Buck's tradition black phenolic handle with aluminum gaurd and pommel. It sports a 7.5 inch bowie style blade tht seem a triffle narrow for it's length but is overall a nice looking cuchillo. This knife dated from 1988. It seems this model was a favorite with servicemen heading to Vietnam. If you find one with a 3 line stanp on the tang and no other marking, it could be from that era.

The second knife is the ever popular Buck 110. It is a folding hunter with a definite clip or bowie design to the blade. It's in outstanding shape with a never sharpend blade and no pocket or sheath wear at all. As in NEW. It dates from 2012.

I approached the owner, who I was working with that day, and asked him what kind of agreement we could come to on these knives. He asked what we had in them I looked and said 5 in one and 8.50 in the other. He says, gimme 15 and they're yours!

I brought them home and looked at the 120 closer and found it had some minor dings and scratches in the aluminum parts. I took them out and polished the aluminum and the polished the sharp blade too.

The 110 needed nothing more than a quick polish and it was good to go.

Neither of these knives have a sheath so the search is on. For the 120 I want the old style full coverage sheath. I had a 119 Special with one of these and really liked it. Unfortunately it grew legs and left in the great gun and knife disapearance several years ago.
For the 110 I wanna  look around and get a basket weave carved custom to carry it in.
   I did some looking today and found that I have a pair of knives that are worth about 160-170 dollars total. The 120 was 'discontinued" in 2001. Buck has made some runs of this knife for Cabelas though since then. Here's the two of them now.



2 comments:

Craig M. said...

Man, I couldn't work there. On payday I would owe more than I made.

Dean Carder said...

Wait till you see my latest purchase!