Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Deep Freeze. .gov lies. Lawn tractor wealth. 200 Huundred Meeelion

We are back in the deep freeze. Last week we had single digit nights and days in the high teens. Then, we had a warming trend of 1.5 days. All the way up to the high 40's. Monday morning we woke up to 4 degrees and a high of 16. Today it was warmer, a whopping 9 degrees. We have the Sun Heat electric furnace going of course but with the temperatures we have now and a little wind the gas furnace still comes on with an alarming frequency. I hate to see what this gas bill is going to be. Especially since we have been on a single income for the last couple of weeks.

__________________________________

I while back, as in when I had a job, I bought a John Deere model 111 with no motor or mow deck from my brother. This past weekend my uncle gave me an 18.5 horsepower motor that I can shoehorn into this little yard tractor. This combo should make a neat little snow plow unit. All of a sudden I'm lawn tractor rich. A Cub Cadet 1330 that I bought last spring, a Wheel Horse B80 that a neighbor gave me then this John Deere. Of course they all need work now.
__________________________________

The .gov still says that jobs are beginning to appear, that money is out there, that we have climbed out of the pit of recession. Well I say bullshit. Every month we still see at least 300 to 400 thousand jobs lost, we hear of more states unemployment funds being drained, we see the federal government stepping in to make those unemployment payments, banks are still refusing to make most loans. So I ask, what has improved? I am going to rob my retirement fund to pay for some training in a niche job that caters to construction and facility management. Hopefully this will result in a job for me. At this time there are plenty of opening in this field. Of course when I took my OSHA 30 course there were plenty of safety openings. Now, if you can find one, they require a college degree or years of safety experience.
_____________________________________

My son was sent to the Fallon Naval Air Station in Nevada for a couple of weeks. It's near Lake Tahoe. When he arrived it started snowing and kept snowing. When he called us they had shut down all flight operations and sent most crews home due to 8 inches of snow and blizzard conditions. I think they are still restricting flight operations at this time. I'll have to find out in the next call.
_____________________________________

200 million is a big number , right? Well the Department of Homeland security has ordered 200 million rounds of .40 Smith and Wesson. The ammo is to be made by Winchester and delivered over 5 years. That's 40 million rounds a year! What are they going to do with 40 million rounds a year. That's a whole lotta practice. Maybe they are expecting a war in this country? I dunno, but 40 million a year is a lot of ammo for a department that has relatively few armed employees. And some of them get prosecuted if they actually shoot someone so why do they need that much ammo?
_______________________________________

No comments: