Monday, November 30, 2009

Book Review and Library Additions.

A couple of weeks ago I received my copy of James Talmage Stevens latest issue of "Making the Best of Basics Family Preparedness Handbook". The cover announces that this is the 11Th version of this guide. First published in 1974 and continually updated until 2009 this is a must have book for any ones survival library. The 27 chapters cover pretty much everything one needs to do to have a well set up home that will endure through any foreseeable disaster or calamity. There are chapters that cover recipes, food types, inventories suggestions, calculation tables, nutrition, water needs, book lists', financial information and lots more. Using the tables that are supplied you can calculate the nutrition needs for your family using a simple mathematical formula. The tables should be copied to maximize their usefulness. Of course the book does come with a CD that will allow you to print these tables if you want to. I was impressed with the amount of information that was provided but found that for my needs it had too much emphasis on recipes. If you don't know how to cook with basics though, this might be just what you need. Mr. Talmage has the opinion that your house should be your personal convenience store where you can find pretty much anything you need. Pick up a copy at any of several vendors, like this one, that carry it or even from the source, as this is a valuable addition to any complete survival library.
_________________________________________

I picked up some books that I hope will not be needed. I still think they are a good addition to my library. These include military manuals FM 21-76 Survival, TM 31-201-1 Incendiaries and TM 31-201 Improvised munitions handbook. Like I said, these are books that have information that I hope I never need to know. I did also pick up a fresh copy of the Bluebook of Gun Values.
_________________________________________

No comments: