Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Knives and stuff

Knives
____________________________

I have been carrying a knife since I was about 4 years old. Over the years I have carried many brands, styles and sizes. I am a unorganized collector of whatever knife strikes my fancy. I give knives as gifts as I think everyone should have at least 1 good knife. When I find a good sale at Smokey Mountain Knife Works I buy one for me and send the same to my son. My wife carries a tiny pink Spyderco in her purse and finds that , one , it comes in very handy in even an office setting and two, everyone that sees her use it is amazed that a woman has a knife and uses it. It must be growing on her because I just received 2 CRKT SideHawg 3 blades and she finds 'em cute and now wants one for her purse! In my view everyone should have a folding knife in or on their pocket. I personally carry a Schrade X-Timer and my son carries a Victorinox Tinker. I also have an Applegate FairbairnFairbairn that I carry alternately. I also carry on occasion a AFCK. Folks, that thing is scary sharp. I know for a fact. I cut the tip of my thumb off with it and never felt it. I perfer Cold Steel knives for the fixed blade as well as the good'ol K-BAR. My favorite fixed blade is a Cold Steel Recon Tanto. It has a thick blade with good weight to it, a rubberized grip and and edge that could cut your arm off. My main hunting knife is a Cold Steel Master Hunter. I have dressed out as many as 8 deer before needing a touch up on the edge.
Brands I like.
Cold Steel
CRKT
Buck
K-BAR

Gerber
Schrade...sadly, they went out of business in 2006 but can still be found.
Buck
United... for some excellent value priced item. I have 3 Harley branded United knives with a cryogenically treated blade and they are great.
Do your self a favor and get a free subscription to the
Smokey Mountain Knifeworks catalogs as they have a huge inventory and many outstanding sales that can't be beat even by Wally World
There are a lot of great knives out there these days, so look around and find one that suits your purposes and pocketbook.
_________________________________

I recently wrote about the need for three packs and later provided a link for a list of recommended contents. A reader of
http://www.survivalblog.com/ sent in a letter with this list for a 24 hour kit as well as a 3 day kit and a list for a 2 month supply of food for two. Take a look at it.

No comments: